The analysis on internet usage among middle school students in Hohhot Huimin District
Nowadays, Internet has become a necessary part in people’s life. Certainly, teenage students will not ignore it. Internet is no longer restricted to business area and has become a stage for people to show themselves. There are abundant resources on the net. But as its development, many problems do occur. Internet is a double-sided sword that not only broadened the horizon and expanded aspect of knowledge of students but also has negative effects on their study and life. In order to recognize and understand the situation of internet usage among middle school students in the Huimin district, we investigated their Internet usage patterns. And then, we discuss and analyze the features of their use of internet, find out the solutions on excessive Internet usage and make relevant suggestions for intervention and statistics records on the results.
1. To strengthen the students understanding of Internet and improve their utilization, make full and practical use of Internet resources to help students effectively.
2. Encourage students to make practical arrangements of online time according to their own situation, to develop good study and daily habits.
3. Parents should have a comprehensive understanding on Internet and be aware that the Internet can be very useful for children’s studies rather than forbidding their time online. They can manage and guide students to use the Internet to make them go to Internet bars less often.
4. School should update the versions of textbook, change the contents of information engineering department, educate students more solutions to the issues met using the internet, and improve the practicability of information technology course.
5. Students are encouraged to surf the net at home if possible, which is conducive to health and can regulate their behavior when they are surfing the net.
This survey is mainly focused on questionnaire. The subjects are mainly from the students of No.1 Hohhot Railway Middle school, Hohhot No.1 Middle School, Hohhot No.8 Middle School and Hohhot No.16 Middle School (all the students are grade two in senior high school, aged between 15 and 19 ). We talked over internet knowledge source, place, network age, times in a week and every online time, then make a survey, the result of which shows:
1. Students obtain Internet knowledge mainly through self-learning, partly through the school professors, and a few through consult friends. Students from No.16 Middle School and Railway Middle School obtained more Internet knowledge from school, while students from the other two schools learn about Internet mainly by themselves.
2. Most of the students usually surf the net in Internet bar, some students at home, small number of them in school; students of No.6 Middle School and No.8 Middle School tend to go to Internet bars while students of No.16 Middle School often surf the net in school; there are more students of No.1 Middle School surf the net at home.
3. Most of the students’ Internet age is over 3 years while a small number of students’ Internet age is 1 year. They have had certain understanding of the Internet that is incorporated into their lives.
The students surf the net for about 2 hours each day. A few students spend over 4 hours. The situation of the four schools are generally the same. Students of No. 1 Huhhot Railway middle school and No. 1 middle school tend to surf the net for a shorter time.