Reduce the incidence of pulmonary complications in critically post operation patients
The Identity of The Initiator:
Region / City:
In the supervision of nursing quality in January 2011, nursing quality supervisor found the nurses in 5 ICU departments and other clinical department s were lacking of knowledge about pulmonary assessment, and their operation technique of lung treatment, nasal, tracheal intubation, tracheal incision of sputum suction were not standard, patting back was not in position, and the patients feels pain; invalid suction, lung damage, increasing the incidents of infection existed in the sputum suction. In order to further improve the nursing skill levels of ICU and clinical nurses , we carried out the pulmonary management advanced training plan for 431 nurses from 15 departments, including five ICUs, oncological surgical department, neurosurgical department, neurology department, cardiac surgical department, thoracic surgical department, general medicine department, pediatric department and respiratory department.
Trained 431 nurses in 15 departments by centralized way teaching and on-site guidance.
1. Training program: pulmonary physical skills
A.pulmonary physical skill assessment.
B.Questionnaire and survey on the knowledge of the prevention of lung infection and pulmonary physical skills.
C.Revised "patting back process” and “Scoring standard of backslap operation technology”.
D.Theoretical training on the selected nurses in 2 batches, each time 2 hours
and a half.
E. Skills training on the selected nurses in 3 batches, each time 3 hours and a half. Skills training progressed by demonstration, analysis of the key
points, practice with each other, and the guidance of teachers.
F. After training, the trainees continued to practice and trained other nurses in their department, and they were examined by the nursing department.
2. Sputum suctioning technique (bedside nasal, endotracheal intubation, tracheotomy)
A. The supervisor in charge went to the department to exam the sputum suction skill of the head nurses and the general clinical teachers, and guided them the existing problems.
B.The head nurses and the general clinical teachers trained and examined the nurses in their department on the sputum suction skills.
C.The supervisor in charge and the members of staffs of nursing quality control group examined all the nurses to make sure that all nurses perform
the technique standard aiming to achieve the desired effect.
1. A total of 431 nurses accepted the training and the examinations (including 270 ICU nurses). The nursing qualities promoted after training as well as nursing service qualities, and it was approved by the patients and their families, the doctors and nursing fraternity.
2. A special report was formatted as "strengthening nursing skill training, improving pulmonary physical skill level of nurses," and it was published in the brief report "high quality nursing service demonstration project" organized by the ministry of health department.
3. Giving a lecture in Xinjiang Changji Hospital of traditional Chinese medicine In June 22, 2012 ,the title was " clinical application of chest physical therapy” . More than 160 staffs in the hospital attended and participated in interactive, it was approved by the nursing department and the nurses.
4 .In the treatment of H7N9 avian influenza patients in our hospital from the year 2011 to 2014, nurses performed the correct pulmonary skills including slap back , suction, other lung treatment on patients, keeping their airway clear, as a result, it made the patients out of danger ,none of the patents died.